WE HAVE MOVED: Please visit The Union News blog: here.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Pascagoula scabs pay big fines

Bill Glenn, spokesperson for Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, said more than 300 workers have crossed the picket line and returned to work since a strike was called March 8. Gatha Stribling and Rebecca Barnes said they want to be two more workers crossing the line and returning to their shipyard jobs, but feel the unions are tying their hands. With the strike entering its third week, neither woman has been present on the picket line, despite being told their unions would pay about $100 a week as well as a bag of groceries for their time. "I told my boss I wanted to cross the picket line," Barnes said. "A lot of us do. But, I was told I'd have to pay anywhere between $500 and $1,000 in fines."

(gulflive.com)